9.02.2012


I like tea.  Megan makes the best tea.  This is a story about tea.

Square Enix announced Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, or, as I like to call it, "Final Fantasy XIII-3".  The game actually sounds pretty good but that's not really as interesting as they announced this thing without a word about Versus XIII—the game that was originally announced at the same time as FF XIII and Agito/Type-0 back in 2006.  It felt like forever for FF XIII to come out, but they've done a good job pretty much annualizing it.  Normally I would hate that term, but I'm actually happy because games are getting made and they're making use of that White Engine/Crystal Tools they spent years developing before jumping to their next engine which they also spent years deving for the PS4/720 generation.

I like anyone who lived through the early SNES and PS1 days have a soft spot for Square Enix.  I was a bit down on them (to put it lightly) when they got cocky just like the rest of the Japanese gaming industry at the outset of this generation.  Over the last 8 years they've taken a real beating, though, and I think they're starting to get it together.  Supporting games like Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex and upcoming Tomb Raider were amazing decisions that must have been hard.  They gave Westerners a lot of freedom to come up with amazing games.  It feels like they are on their back foot and not rolling over, I think in the upcoming years we're going to get some great games from them.

- Gideon Done

No comments:

Post a Comment